Thursday, January 15, 2015

Quick quilt gift--Scrappy 16 patch

I had this quilt waiting to be sent to Lynn for her quilting magic when we found out that a family at Church was in need for Christmas.  So instead I did some easy straight line quilting--since that is really all I can do with any of my machines--and we gave it to this family along with other items and money that members had donated.



I like that it has an Irish Chain feel to it, but it isn't really...

I have to say my kids were very encouraging when I asked them if they thought this family would like the quilt.  You really just don't ever know what people are going to like.  Not everyone can appreciate the beauty of scrappy.  And for anyone who sews or quilts, even "easy" projects take some time and effort.  But they thought it was a great idea and reminded me that we have plenty of quilts.  Yes, yes, we do.



Taking pictures wasn't that easy.
During this time period we had overcast days for almost 2 weeks straight.  Yuck!!
This was the best I could come up with before giving it to this family.



Details:
  • Cut 3 inch squares sewn in a 4 by 4 block configuration.
  • Made 30 blocks.
  • Each block has 4 different fabrics in it.  And I am pretty sure I didn't repeat any fabrics.  I actually went back and changed 2 or 3 blocks that I noticed did have a repeat.  It was kind of bugging me--just a touch of OCD.  So that means in the end I used 120 different scrap fabrics.
  • Sashing between blocks cut 1 1/2 inches wide.
  • Border sashing cut 3 inches wide.
  • Yellow check fabric for binding.
  • Backing was a soft red chambray type fabric.
  • Finished size 59 inches by 69 inches.

I received a couple Pilot Frixion Ball Erasable Pens at a "Favorite Things" Party back in December.  These pens are amazing!  I used them for the first time on this quilt to mark my lines in the border.  All I had to do was to wash the quilt and the lines were GONE.  But I could see that they would disappear with just a little water alone.  The pen even comes in light colors so if you need to mark on darker fabrics you can.  AMAZING!!  You may want to try one out for yourselves.  The giver said she bought them at her local Staples store.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...