Friday, October 7, 2011

Canning Turkey Broth

Recently I cooked up a turkey that had been in the freezer for some time.  It was delicious!  One of the things I try and do when we have turkey is make sure that I can some turkey broth afterwards.  It makes me a bit crazy to just throw away everything once we're done eating the turkey.  

So here is what you do:

  •  Dump all bones/carcass & any turkey leftover drippings into a large pot.
  • If you want to remove the fat then add some water and put it in the fridge overnight.  The fat will rise and congeal a bit and you'll more easily be able to remove it and throw it away.
Add:
  • Some celery tops
  • An onion, peeled & quartered
  • A couple bay leaves
  • I also throw in the neck and giblets if I haven't cooked them up for stuffing, etc.
  • Add water to cover all and then maybe a bit more.
  • Bring to a boil and then cover and simmer for a couple hours until the remaining meat will fall off the bones.
  • Strain liquid into another pot.
  • Discard everything else.  (You can go thru and pick out the meat and save it for something if you'd like)
Turkey broth MUST BE pressure canned.
10# pressure for 25 min. for quarts or 20 min. for pints. (adjust for altitude as needed)
I usually get at least 4 quarts of broth when I do this.
_________________________________________
Click HERE for the Ball recipe for Chicken Stock, and here for Beef Stock
OR
You can find the recipes in The Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving
pg. 399 for Chicken Stock
pg. 400 for Beef Stock 
pg. 401 for Vegetable Stock.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this as I have wanted to do this! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...